I have never worried about calories or carbs in cooking before, except when I was on a diet like Atkins. My ex-husband had the metabolism of a hummingbird and so do the kids so I was free to add butter, sugar, and cream to my heart’s content.
Well… things change. Ya gotta be flexible, right? Semper Gumby: Always Flexible….The fiance has type 1 diabetes and it’s hard enough to keep his diet on track without creating landmines in my kitchen. Geez, talk about a junk food addict! So, I am trying to cook things that he will like and that won’t cause his blood sugar to skyrocket to Jupiter.
This spicy mango chicken is adapted from the South Beach Cookbook. It is easy, the ingredients are obtainable, and you can have it on the table in less than 40 minutes. You can use any type of chicken that you want, I chose chicken breast.
The chicken breast is dipped in a finely chopped mixture of jalapenos, garlic, ginger, and other spicy-yummy things and then baked. I created a mango sauce from ripe mango, Riesling, and vanilla to add a sweet touch to the spicy coating. The combination is not too spicy, not too sweet… but very good.
A fresh salad is really all you need to make this low calorie, low carb, and amazing.
Spicy Mango Chicken
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 chipotle in adobo (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch peeled, fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 chicken breasts
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- Add all ingredients except chicken to a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Cover the chicken breasts on both sides with the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Bake at 450 for 30 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 170F.
- Plate and add a tablespoon of the mango sauce and sprinkle with cilantro
- 1 mango, very ripe
- 1/4 cup Riesling
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Peel and chop mango. Add to a small saucepan with the wine.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
- Puree in blender and add vanilla. Refrigerate until ready to use.
5 grams fat
28 grams protein
7 grams carbohydrateLet's Keep in Touch!