Dark chocolate muffins with chocolate chips and a hint of hazelnut flavor are definitely one of those things that makes breakfast special.
I am a choc-o-holic from way back. My mom was in her 40s when I was born and had been a young adult during the Depression. Although she and my dad were heavy into organic gardening she had no problem with feeding me Cocoa Puffs and Count Chocula for breakfast. I had no problem eating Cocoa Puffs and Count Chocula for breakfast so we were a good combination.
I would have NEVER fed my kids any kind of cereal back in the day. I was concerned that they eat healthy. Now? Not so much. They get cereal because my life has changed and I don’t have time to make pancakes, biscuits, or whatever every day. So, they get cereal and sometimes, if they’re lucky, they get dark chocolate muffins.
With chocolate chips.
I found this recipe on the King Arthur site. I love their products and the recipes I have tried from there are usually pretty amazing. I was looking for a good, dark chocolate muffin recipe because my husband loves those huge dark chocolate muffins from Costco. Maybe there’s a small part of my that is still super health conscious because I shudder at the idea of the family taking in all of those chemicals… AND those things are HUGE.
OMG. No wonder Americans are fat. Those things are the size of at least two and maybe THREE muffins.
Anyway. I wanted to recreate the deep chocolate flavor and moistness but without the chemicals or the size. My husband adores me but he isn’t overly impressed with my cooking skills. It isn’t that he doesn’t like my cooking — just that he could care less if I could cook or not. It is uncomfortable for me because I am used to people valuing me for the things I can do… Like cook.
It’s probably much more emotionally healthy though.
So, I was definitely hoping for a win on these muffins. He liked them… then said… “but they’re miniature!”
Anyway, if you’d like to give them a try here’s the recipe. They are moist, deep-rich-chocolate, with a faint hazelnut flavor, and bursts of random chocolate from the chocolate chips. I adapted the recipe on the King Arthur site. The only thing I wasn’t happy with is the flattish tops. Reading the comments it seems a lot of people had problems with that so I will keep working on it and update when I get it just right. I’d wait to post the recipe until then but dark chocolate muffins with chocolate chips? They are just too delicious to keep to myself.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Dark Chocolate Muffins with Chocolate ChipsPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 1/3 cup extra dark or black cocoa
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut coffee syrup, (Da Vinci, Torani, etc)
- 1/2 cup butter, , melted
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Put silicone liners in muffin pans or use regular paper liners, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Whisk the cocoa, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, hazelnut syrup, and cooled melted butter until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix quickly – do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling them so that the batter heaps.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before removing from muffin papers or cups.
If you liked Dark Chocolate Muffins with Chocolate Chips you might also like these recipes:
Double Chocolate Chip Pecan Muffins Restless Chipotle
Chocolate Chili Muffins Restless Chipotle
Chocolate Chip Muffins Milk and Honey
Chocolate Chip Rolo Cheesecake Muffins Shugary SweetsLet's Keep in Touch!