Daring Bakers April Challenge: Cheesecake Pops
Sweet little cheesecake bites that you can make ahead for parties. These are a fun, bite sized dessert perfect for buffets.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 5 8- oz . packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Boiling water as needed
- Thirty to forty 8-inch lollipop sticks
- 1 pound chocolate, , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening *Note: I do not use vegetable shortening so I used organic coconut oil
- Assorted decorations such as chopped nuts, , colored jimmies, crushed peppermints, mini chocolate chips, sanding sugars, dragees) - Optional
- Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.Set some water to boil.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth.If using a mixer, mix on low speed.
- Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well (but still at low speed) after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla and cream.
- Grease a 10-inch cake pan (not a springform pan), and pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Place the pan in a larger roasting pan.
- Fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake until the cheesecake is firm and slightly golden on top, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and cool to room temperature.
- Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- When the cheesecake is cold and very firm, scoop the cheesecake into 2-ounce balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Carefully insert a lollipop stick into each cheesecake ball.
- Freeze the cheesecake pops, uncovered, until very hard, at least 1 – 2 hours.
- When the cheesecake pops are frozen and ready for dipping, prepare the chocolate.
- In the top of a double boiler, set over simmering water, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, heat half the chocolate and half the shortening, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and chocolate and shortening are combined.
- Stir until completely smooth.
- Do not heat the chocolate too much or your chocolate will lose it’s shine after it has dried.
- Save the rest of the chocolate and shortening for later dipping, or use another type of chocolate for variety.
- Alternately, you can microwave the same amount of chocolate coating pieces on high at 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Quickly dip a frozen cheesecake pop in the melted chocolate, swirling quickly to coat it completely.
- Shake off any excess into the melted chocolate. If you like, you can now roll the pops quickly in optional decorations. You can also drizzle them with a contrasting color of melted chocolate (dark chocolate drizzled over milk chocolate or white chocolate over dark chocolate, etc.)
- Place the pop on a clean parchment paper-lined baking sheet to set.
- Repeat with remaining pops, melting more chocolate and shortening (or confectionery chocolate pieces) as needed.
- Refrigerate the pops for up to 24 hours, until ready to serve
The Restless Chipotle Channel