Did you see the front of the April Family Circle? Homemade junk food! I decided that I am going to try the recipes one by one and let you know. I started with the filled chocolate cupcakes.
I did make a few changes. I did not like the flavor of the filling as written at all so I added a little cream cheese to give it richness and creaminess. I used a bittersweet chocolate ganache without corn syrup. And..I used Hershey’s Dark Cocoa for the cocoa in the recipe…And I added coffee for part of the buttermilk because I find that coffee makes chocolate taste more chocolatey.
You will need to make sure that you get enough filling deep in the cupcake. The recipe calls for going from the top, which I did, but I think going into the side might be better. I had to double the filling recipe to get enough. With my changes I liked this recipe better than the kind you get at the store. 🙂
- 2 c flour
- 1 cup Hershey’s dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c strong, cold coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place silicon cupcake liners in 18 muffin cups (they got 24, I only got 18)
- Combine the dry ingredients, sift three times, and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, coffee, and vanilla and set aside
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and creamed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add the flour and milk mixtures in alternating batches, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely. If using the silicon cool for five minutes and then remove from silicon cups.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese,softened
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and beat well.
- Gradually add the confectioners sugar. Add the cream a little at a time until a soft, creamy consistency is reached. Beat until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
- Place the filling in a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip.
- Push the tip into the cooled cupcakes and gently squeeze in the filling.
- Save a little for the swirl on the top.
- 1/3 heavy cream
- 1 cup coarselychopped bittersweet chocolate
Bring the cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Dip the filled cupcakes in the chocolate. Let set and then add the swirl with the remaining filling.