There are really only two people who will eat shrimp in my house – Matt and me. I suppose if I DID do coconut shrimp they might try it…but I am not sure it is worth the expense.
The other day I accidentally picked up chicken tenders rather than breast at Costco. I didn’t realize it until I had the package open and was ready to cook dinner. Being a woman of snap decisions and a strong survival instinct (you haven’t seen my kids when they are hungry,have you?) I decided that coconut chicken would be the way to go. I briefly marinated the chicken in a little orange juice just to give it a little flavor. Next time I do it I think I will marinate it in pineapple juice…
Pat it dry and do a quick breading… toss it into the pan to fry and you are looking at less than thirty minutes from start to finish. This Clementine, Fennel and Pistachio salad would be a great addition to the meal and if you need carbs just add some couscous. Dessert is easy too- what about vanilla ice cream with sliced mangos.
I like my Spicy Mango Habenero sauce to dip it in. That will not add any time but you have to remember to make it the night before.
Coconut Chicken: Super Quick -Super Easy- Super YumPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cup gingerale
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flaked coconut, , chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 lbs Chicken tenders
- 1/3 cup peanut oil or more as needed
- Heat oil to 350F in a large frying pan.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl.
- Combine egg, 1 cup flour, gingerale, salt and baking powder.
- Place coconut and remaining flour in separate dishes.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, then dip in batter, then dredge through the coconut.
- Fry in the oil until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towel and transfer to baking sheet in a warm oven.
- You can also make this in a deep fryer if you like.
Let's Keep in Touch!