Chocolate Pound Cake is special but when you add just a touch of coconut it is magical. This dark chocolate pound cake is rich, dense, and moist with lots of that chocolate flavor that we all crave. It’s topped with unsweetened coconut and a little sugar before baking so it’s not too sweet but just exactly right.
When I saw this chocolate bundt cake recipe in the March issue of Bon Appetit I knew I was going to make it. There was no doubt in my mind. It looked dark, rich, and moist but best of all it was made with butter AND coconut oil. There was a little unsweetened coconut sprinkled on the top and I guessed (correctly) that the cake would be intensely chocolate with a light coconut aftertaste. I liked this so much I even made it in a low-carb version!
Pound cakes are great to have on hand because you can do so many things with them. Imagine slices of this chocolate pound cake on a plate with a big scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Or, with Bananas Foster spooned over it. Or any number of other toppings.
Most pound cakes will stay moist and good for about 4 to 5 days. They never last that long around here but it’s the rumor I’ve heard. You can also keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months – I’ve had them in there are long as 6 months without issues as long as you have them in a good, airtight storage container.
This recipe is definitely going in my “favorites” file. There is no downside to it at all. A chocolate pound cake that is super simple to make, comes out perfectly, and is unbelievably delicious?
Make it soon. You won’t be sorry.
You can use any sort of cocoa that you like but I recommend on of the dark versions. The higher quality the cocoa is in this the more flavor you are going to get.
You can find unsweetened coconut at most natural food stores or online. I have linked to many of the ingredients on Amazon because I find that the prices are usually lower and since I have Prime I get free shipping. Some of the ingredients are from King Arthur flour – I love the quality of their products (and no they didn’t pay me to say that!)
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Chocolate Coconut Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Extra Dark cocoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, , room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic virgin coconut oil, , room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 3 large eggs, , room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, , room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Grease a 8×4 loaf pan and line with parchment or waxed paper.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the butter and coconut oil on medium high until well blended.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar and beat until pale and fluffy, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating well between each addition.
- Beat until the mixture is light and doubled in volume about 8 minutes.
- Add the vanilla.
- Reduce the mixture speed to low and add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- Don’t overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and run a spatula down the center.
- Sprinkle with the coconut and remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 70 o 80 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn out and let it cool completely.
If you liked this chocolate pound cake recipe you might also like…
Guinness Fudge Bundt Cake Restless Chipotle
Triple Chocolate Merlot Bundt Cake RestlessChipotle
Bailey’s Irish Cream Pound Cake Laura’s Sweet Spot
Classic Sour Cream Pound Cake The Kitchn
If you liked this post please share generously, thanks… and don’t forget to leave a comment!Let's Keep in Touch!