Light, puffy sweet rolls are filled with chocolate and pecans for a special breakfast treat. The warm rolls ooze chocolaty goodnes! Disclaimer: Smuckers provided Jif Salted Caramel Spread that was used in this recipe. My opinion is my own – as always!
I got a the Jif Salted Caramel spread a few weeks ago. I practically had to surround it with electric fencing to keep the kids out of it. Every single day at least one of the kids asked if I had reviewed it yet. I had to go ahead and get this post done before they drove me nuts or the contents of the jar inexplicably evaporated while sitting in the pantry. You know how that is, right?
I liked the spread – it is rich, creamy, and chocolaty. I do think that the salted caramel flavor got lost in the chocolate. It’s there but almost imperceptible. Still, it’s chocolate and it’s creamy. That’s enough for me!
One of my favorite guilty pleasures is pain au chocolat. When I was young and thin I would treat myself to the rich, chocolate filled pastry once in awhile. Later on I learned to make it but making a laminated dough is time consuming – I just don’t have the time. Well, these chocolate pecan breakfast rolls fit the bill as far as I’m concerned.
The dough is slightly sweet and lighter than air. It wraps around the chocolate filling – and oh! that chocolate filling! Creamy chocolate with extra chocolate flavor from the chocolate chips is irresistible to the chocoholic (me!) and the crunchy addition of toasted pecans?
You can let these rise overnight if you want to. Just brush the tops of the unbaked rolls with melted butter, cover with plastic wrap and put them in the refrigerator. Take them out and back them in the morning.
You know, I feel like Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables) so much of the time. I identified with her by the end of chapter one when I was in fifth grade. I have this overgrown imagination that makes me straddle reality and fantasy every moment. Perhaps it’s the writer gene? I always imagine myself sitting on a window seat, wrapped in a warm afghan, watching the chilly rain patter against the glass as I nibble delicately at the buttery roll, and lick the chocolate off of my fingers. A cup of steaming coffee is always nearby. Luckily I now have a window seat, thanks to my hard working husband, and we should get some chilly rain in the next few weeks.
I wonder if reality will match fantasy? Perhaps not as far as the romantic aspect of the experience goes but the eating the chocolate sweet roll? That is going to be just the way I imagine it! Give these a try, window seat optional.
Chocolate Pecan Breakfast RollsPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk, , warm
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, , melted
- 2 egg yolks, , room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Jif Salted Caramel Chocolate Spread, , or your favorite chocolate spread.
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Mix warm water and sugar and stir in yeast.
- Set aside for a few minutes to bubble.
- Mix about 2 cups of the flour, salt, eggs, and buttermilk into the yeast mixture until smooth.
- Add flavoring and butter.
- Slowly add flour until a soft dough is formed. You can do this by hand or with a heavy duty mixture and a dough hook.
- Once the dough holds together turn it out on a floured surface.
- Knead a few minutes until smooth and satiny, but still somewhat soft.
- Let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Punch down.
- Let rest for five minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick or a little more.
- Spread the chocolate evenly over the dough. If is is too thick to spread easily warm it a little.
- Sprinkle with the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Roll up as for a jelly roll and cut in 12 thick slices.
- Place cut side down on a greased cookie sheet and cover well with plastic wrap.
- Let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Bake in a 375 oven about 35 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
If you liked Chocolate Pecan Sweet Rolls you might also like…
Peanut Butter Sweet Rolls with Chocolate Glaze Baking a Moment
Coconut Chocolate Sweet Rolls Creations By Kara
Did You Find This Pineresting?
Let's Keep in Touch!