These chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookies are yummy enough to be after-school snacks but pretty enough to serve at something special. They are easy to make with two chewy peanut butter cookies and a generous dollop of dark chocolate ganache in the center.
This chocolate peanut butter sandwich cookie recipe is from 2008. When I originally wrote it my life was much different than it is now – I was homeschooling, blogging as a hobby mostly, and in a dark and difficult time. It’s funny how life has a way of switching things up, isn’t it? I look back on these old recipes and posts and I enjoy the insight it gives me on what I was thinking and feeling. I am a totally different person now — some would say that isn’t such a good thing.
Shiloh created this recipe when she was 12. She is 19 and graduating this year … and she doesn’t cook at all anymore unless it’s a box of mac and cheese or ramen. She is no longer homeschooled, on the honor roll, on the softball team, and has been nominated for the National Honor Society. I am understandably proud of her. Reading this, I must say I miss that little girl who loved to play with recipes and bake. It’s hard for me to believe that my youngest daughter is now 12 — the age Shi was when I wrote this.
Shiloh has a knack for cooking. Somewhere I have a picture of her holding the first tray of cookies she ever baked on her own, at age FIVE! Many times I will just ask her to make some cookies, and within a short period of time the whole house smells great. Baking has clicked with her. She now adapts recipes easily and without much thought, measures by the feel of it in her hand, the weight, and the texture and look of what she is baking. Because of that she enjoys it. And she is good at it.
These are her recipe, totally. She adapted another recipe, changing both ingredients and actual structure of the cookie. I thought the addition of the pecan half on top was brilliant.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter , preferably freshly ground homemade
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt if the peanut butter is homemade
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl cream the butter, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla.
- Beat in the egg.
- Combine the dry ingredients, and pecans, and mix into the creamed mixture.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto a silpat or parchment covered baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Bring cream just to a simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Cool in refrigerator until the consistency is thick and spreadable (about like peanut butter)
- Sandwich two cookies together with a tablespoon or so of the ganache.
- Place a dab of ganache on the top of the sandwich cookie and affix a pecan half.
- Makes about 2 to 3 dozen, depending on size.