Chicken Cordon Bleu Pockets are delicately flavored onion roll dough stuffed with chicken, ham, bacon, and Swiss cheese in a light cream sauce. They are a perfect take along lunch or quick dinner — you can make them ahead and freeze them so they are ready whenever you need them.
I love my family — and that includes my inlaws. I have a daughter-in-law that I am just getting to know (so hard to do long distance) and a son-in-law that has been around long enough that I forget I didn’t give birth to him sometimes. I’d do anything for my kiddos and so when my son-in-law, Jon, texted and asked me to fix lunch for him and his crew I was happy to do it.
He started his own painting/restoration/remodeling business a couple of years ago and he is doing great. If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area it’s called Fourth Wall Painting, by the way. This guy has a serious work ethic. Anyway, once in awhile he likes to treat his employees to lunch and I get to try out recipes. It’s a win-win sort of deal.
I had seen this Chicken Cordon Bleu Calzones on A Dash of Sanity and knew that I wanted to make something like them. So, I made these. If you don’t want to make your own bread for these you can use the frozen bread dough or pizza dough from the store but knead in couple of teaspoons of onion powder.
The only thing I don’t really like about these is that when I shaped the roll it made the bread so very thick on the top. I’d roll it thinner next time. You can do it either way – you might like the extra bread.
I really like this recipe because you can make it way ahead, freeze them, and warm up in the microwave anytime you want. It’s a fancy sandwich that goes anywhere you do. What’s not to love about that?
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pockets
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 to 4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup gluten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons sautéed onion
- 1 pound of boneless, , skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 6 slices of bacon, , cooked crisp and broken up
- 8 slices of Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Soften the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water.
- Add the gluten and mix well.
- Add the butter, onion powder, onions, and salt.
- Mix well and begin adding the flour, a little at the time until it pulls away from the bowl.
- Knead by mixer for 6 minutes or by hand for 10.
- Form into a ball and put it in a large greased bowl for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Turn out and divide in two.
- Roll the first half into a large square, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into four squares.
- Lay a slice of Swiss cheese on a square.
- Spoon a couple tablespoons of the chicken mixture.
- Fold into a triangle and seal edges.
- Bring the center point back over the packet.
- Bring the two remaining points up over, cross over, and tuck underneath to make a knot.
- Brush with melted butter and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, brush with egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Cook the bacon and remove it from the pan, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the cubed chicken and cook until cooked through.
- Add the ham and the cream to the hot pan.
- Bring to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula.
- Simmer until the cream has reduced and thickened, and almost disappeared.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Mix in the bacon.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature before using.
If you like Chicken Cordon Bleu Pockets you may also like…
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Chef in Training
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Six Sisters Stuff