Captain Morgan supplied me with rum and a gift card to buy supplies.
Chilly days call for something warm, fragrant, and relaxing — and this apple pie grog made with Captain Morgan’s Black rum is just exactly perfect.
I always liked the idea of sipping a hot drink in the library of an English manor house with a crackling fire in the fireplace and a blustery, bitter wind howling outside. Too many Gothic romances as a teen? Probably.
This nails it, though. The old Clipper ship sea captain relaxing in his favorite chair, smoking a pipe, and telling his grandchildren about his adventures comes to life with this drink, I swear.
I’ll admit to liking sweet, girly drinks. I love pina coladas and fruity margaritas. This is sweet, tangy, spicy, and I just love it. Be careful, it sneaks up on you. When I was creating and testing this recipe I was… um… not fit to drive. Luckily I didn’t have to.
Spiced apple cider is jazzed up with rum and a few other magical ingredients and then just a touch of cream is poured into the glass. The flavor? Well it’s like warm apple pie with melting vanilla ice cream only it carried quite a kick. What I love about this particular recipe is that you can make the cider in the crock-pot and it is non-alcoholic. Fine for kids and your non-drinking guests.
This my my second recipe for The Captain’s Table blogger invitational sponsored by Captain Morgan. The first was this yummy heirloom sweet potato gratin.Remember that every time you tweet, retweet, Facebook, or Pinterest with #CaptainsTable $1 goes to Why Hunger. Please share these posts with the #CaptainsTable hashtag as often as possible and help support this cause. 🙂
The Captain’s Apple Pie Grog
- 2 quarts unfiltered apple cider
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/4 cup red hots candy, (sometimes called cinnamon imperials)
- pinch of chipotle powder, , or to taste - optional
- 1/2 cup pure cane light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup hot apple cider
- 1 oz Captain Morgans Black Spiced Rum
- 1/2 oz caramel vodka
- 1/2 oz cinnamon schnapps
- 1/2 oz green apple vodka
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of the butter mixture
- Whipped cream, , cinnamon sticks, freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- Put all ingredients in a crockpot on low and simmer for at least 3 hours.
- Keep warm.
- Blend the butter, cinnamon, and sugar until smooth.
Apple Pie Grog
- Add the butter to a heat proof glass mug.
- Add the rum, schnapps, and vodkas
- Carefully pour in the hot apple cider
- Slowly pour in the cream. The cream will float on the top so it is a layered drink.
- Top with sweetened whipped cream and a few gratings of nutmeg.
- Add a cinnamon stick to stir with and serve hot.