Cap’n Crunch French toast with a Southern twist? What’s not to like?
I have to confess that as a kid I was somewhat of a Cap’n Crunch addict. Long before Crunch Berries, Peanut Butter Crunch, or anything else the Cap’n and I had a standing date on Saturday mornings.
Of course I got older and drifted away from the old Cap’n, instead favoring skipping breakfast or some low calorie, low carb faux food. I more or less ignored him, although he was brought into the house once or twice. The one day I read Guy Feiri’s Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and saw the recipe for Blue Moon’s Cap’n Crunch French Toast. Suddenly my childhood came flooding back to me and I remembered that sweet, yumminess. I was going to do it.
I wanted it to be a little less sweet and a bit bolder. I wanted it to reflect how I cook and southern ingredients. You know what I did, don’t you?
Now it isn’t just a sweet French toast. It is a sweet French toast with a bourbon kick.
And it is good. Dadgum good.
I like to use Texas Toast for the bread. I think the texture is much better – fluffier, richer, crispier. You can use regular bread if you want but I can tell you that it just won’t be as good. Personally, I think that maple syrup is too sweet to serve with this. I prefer a mixture of whipping cream and cream cheese to give my tastebuds a little jolt and balance the sweetness of the cerea
Cap'n Crunch French ToastPrint Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 2 cups Cap’n Crunch cereal
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 large eggs, , lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 slices brioche or Texas Toast white bread
- Unsalted butter for cooking
- Crush the Cap’n Crunch Cereal and put it on a large platter.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla, bourbon, sugar, and cream.
- Melt the butter on your griddle using a medium heat.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture.
- Let the excess drain off.
- Dredge the bread through the cereal making sure that you coat both sides.
- Place the bread on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until it is crispy.
- Serve with whipped cream, whipped cream cheese, or your favorite syrup
If you like Cap’n Crunch French Toast you may also like…
Creme Brulee French Toast Carlsbad Cravings
Hot Chocolate French Toast Half Baked Harvest