Spicy chicken nachos are fast and easy plus they totally rule when it comes to killing cravings for Mexican food.
I don’t handle that goopy, glow in the dark orange fake cheese very well. It grosses me out that people actually think that nachos are stale tortilla chips with fake cheese glopped over them. No WAY, y’all. These are serious nachos. The real thing. Tex-Mex at its absolute best. Fresh, flavorful ingredients — and it is an easy nacho recipe. Here’s a secret. ALL nacho recipes are easy!
You can either broil or bake nachos depending on how much time you have. Use beef or shrimp if you want. Leave off the chicken and you have a vegetarian nachos recipe. See? Easy!
Cubes of chicken breast are sauteed until golden and then simmered in a chipotle-adobo with cilantro, cumin, onion, and garlic. While that party is going on corn tortillas are being transformed into slices of fresh, hot, crunchiness… Into the oven for a few minutes and …
Yep. Right there with ya.
Nachos are an inexpensive lunch or quick dinner, and kids will eat them because they are chips. When you fry the chips yourself, and use real cheese…well the difference is amazing. And I will tell you a secret…Lean in now….closer…
Do you see it? Yes it is. Yellow crookneck squash. You could use zucchini as well. Just chop it up a little smaller than the chicken and simmer it with the adobo.
I know, right? Brilliant.
This is very spicy. If your family doesn’t do spicy so well you will want to cut back on the amount of adobo and chipotle, and probably cut the jalapenos out all together.
Spicy Chicken Nachos
- 1/2 lb of corn tortillas cut in wedges
- Peanut oil for deep frying (you can substitute, this is my preference)
- Olive oil for saute pan
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut in cubes
- 3 tablespoons of chipotle in adobo (or less)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 cups cubed yellow squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups organic, dark red kidney beans, cooked (you cn use pinto, black beans, or what you like)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, colby or a mixture of your favorites
- Salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado,cilantro etc. as you like.
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 370F
- Saute chicken in a little olive oil until it starts to turn golden. Add onion, squash, peppers, and garlic and saute about three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, cumin, and adobo/chipotle mixture. Chop and mash the chipotles as you go. Add the cilantro.
- Simmer until the chicken is done and the stock has evaporated. Do not let it go dry.
- Stir in the beans.
- Set aside.
- Fry the tortillas until golden and crisp. Drain and place on cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Using a slotted spoon, spoon chicken mixture over the tortilla chips as evenly as you can.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Broil on high until cheese melts
- Serve immediately, topping with tomatoes and other toppings of choice.