This is the first olive bread recipe that I ever made. It is mild and makes delicious sandwiches.
I have always loved black olives. Just plain, old ripe olives from a can were high on my list of snacks. We only had them at the holidays and I, like many of you, spent time pushing them onto my finger tips before eating them one by one. This black olive bread recipe has that same kind of magic for me.
You can use water ever type of olives you like – I used just the ones from the cans and chopped them up. They add a rich flavor that is addictive to people like me. You know… those of us who love olives?
This loaf of olive bread is fully risen and ready for the oven.
My very favorite way to have this bread is to toast it and then add a touch of garlic aoli, a few thick slices of ripe tomato, fresh basil, and salt. It makes the best tomato sandwich ever.
Because of the whole wheat you will knead this bread longer than many others. It’s necessary for the correct texture.
Whole Wheat Black Olive Bread
- 1 envelope, (2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water, (100° to 110°F)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup gluten
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups flavorful black olives, , pitted and coarsely chopped
- Mix water, yeast, 2 cups flour, pepper, and olives together and allow to stand for up to 4 hours, longer will develop flavor.
- Mix in salt, oil, and remaining flour and gluten until an elastic dough is formed.
- Knead 15 minutes by hand or as directed on your mixer.
- Form into ball, oil, and let rise until doubled- about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, form into oval or cloche and slash top.
- Let rise until doubled 30-45 minutes.
- Beat and egg with a tablespoon of water and brush the top.
- Bake at 375F for 30 to 45 minutes or until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
If you like this olive bread recipe you might also like-
No Knead Olive Bread from Macheesmo
Fougasse with Olives from Saveur
Bacon Bread – Restless Chipotle
Onion Cheese Yeast Bread – Restless Chipotle
Let's Keep in Touch!