My eldest daughter loves banana chocolate chip bread. I usually try to make a loaf of it for her a couple of times a year but time doesn’t always allow it. There is a wholesome sweetness to banana muffins and when it is paired with decadent chocolate and a generous scoop of pecans… well, these are just so good.
I don’t always have the really ripe bananas on hand that I like to use. We can go through huge amounts of that particular fruit in a very short period of time around here. If I want to make banana bread I try to hide a couple of bananas until the get so ripe the flesh is almost liquid. Don’t gross out on me, it is almost pure sugar. See, the peel of the banana releases nutrients into the flesh as the banana ripens. The natural starches in the bananas break down and turn into sugar. Now, you do have to be careful. In the summer time flies really like ripe bananas. It’s best to keep them sealed up while they get to that stage of ripe, sweet, deliciousness that you are looking for.[pullquote]Bananas are related to orchids and lilies.[/pullquote]
Since the bananas are so sweet in this you’ll probably want to use a bittersweet chocolate to balance the flavors. Milk chocolate would just make it all one huge bite of sweetness without dimension. Toasting the pecans brings out their flavor and gives them a bit more crunch, adding a nice texture as well.
These are perfect for breakfast or as a pick-me-up in the afternoon.
Be careful not to overmix OR overbake muffins. Overmixing them will keep them from getting those awesome peaks. Overbaking will make them dry. I love these with a schmear of cream cheese. I think it takes them over the top.
Muffins are so easy to make and they freeze well that you can easily have a great breakfast every day.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 3 very ripe bananas , almost liquid
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar (white)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup melted , unsalted butter
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans , toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans , toasted
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Prepare 12 muffin cups by spraying or adding liners
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mash the bananas until they are very smooth.
- Stir in the sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture along with pecans and chocolate chips.
- Quickly stir the ingredients together just until moistened.
- Spoon batter evenly into the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup pecans evenly on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until done.