Banana Bacon Bundt cake is a unique flavor combination that is absolutely delicious.
With all of the banana recipes around here you would think that my family was slightly addicted to bananas — that’s a total misconception and lie.
There’s no slightly about it. They are banana junkies. I can’t tell you how much banana pudding we go through when I make it. You don’t want to know.
Recently my son and daughter in law were visiting and she made maple bacon cupcakes. OMG, they were so good. After the left, I looked at the counter and there was several bananas in desperate need of being used. You know, the squishy gooey ones?
She had left bacon in the fridge but it wasn’t enough to use or breakfast and as I looked at them an idea formed. Sweet and salty is a classic flavor combo, right? Bacon and banana?
So I did.
I added some of the bacon fat to the cake in place of some of the butter and then I made the moistest banana bundt cake I could come up with. After it was baked I added a buttery glaze and a sprinkling of bacon to the top.
Like most bundt cakes this one was better the second day. There’s something about the flavor and texture that just gets really mellow and smooth. Believe it or not this cake lasted several days and was fresh. It had gotten pushed back behind some other stuff and we forgot about it after the first day. That almost never happens but luckily it was just as moist and good the fourth day as the first.
It would make an awesome after school snack, lunch box treat, or breakfast (not that I would ever eat bundt cake for breakfast…who me?).
Banana Bacon Bundt Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- 4 very ripe , mushy bananas - mashed
- 1 cup sour cream , room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (or more)
- 3 slices bacon , cooked until crisp and crumbled
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Generously butter a 12 cup Bundt pan or spray with baking spray.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Beat the butter and bacon grease until creamy.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and beat at medium speed until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Beat for one minute or so after each.
- With mixer on low beat in the bananas.
- Mix in the dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with the sour cream.
- Spoon the batter in the pan.
- Bang on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Place in the over and bake for 65 - 75 minutes or until done.
- Cake tester will come out with just a few crumbs adhering to it.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and allow to finish cooling.
- Put the confectioner's sugar in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of melted bacon grease (or butter) just until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with bacon pieces.