Yeah, New Years is pretty much down to the wire, isn’t it? Whether you need a few last minute things to round out the table or you need a whole buffet of last minute appetizers we have ya covered!
Here are some quick and easy appetizer ideas
1. Run to the local store and pick up several good cheeses and some pears and apples, and maybe a pomegranate. Slice the pears and apples thinly and lay a slice of cheese over each slice of fruit. Add the pomegranate to the middle of the tray. Cut small clusters of red grapes to garnish. Serve smoked almonds.
Cheese to try:
- Tillamook aged cheddar
- chevre -especially a peppered chevre..yum!
For a nice pomegranate compote, check out this recipe from the California Pomegranate Council.
Holiday Pomegranate Compote
Seeds from 2 medium pomegranates, about 1-1/2 cups
1 tablespoon finely chopped orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
Gently fold together pomegranate seeds and remaining ingredients.
Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Try serving that with some Carrs Water Crackers and a slice of gouda.
2. Grab a shrimp platter. Take a Carrs Cracker, put a tsp of Thai sweet/hot chili on the cracker and top with a shrimp.
3. Savory Puff Pastry Squares -made with frozen puff pastry (it takes about 20 minutes to thaw!)
4. New York Times list of 101 appetizers you can make in 20 minutes or less!
5. Melt jalapeno jelly and pour over a block of cream cheese. Serve with crackers. I am odd, but I like it with graham crackers or Lorna Doones. Something about the combo of sweet/hot/tangy
6. Fondue- Seriously you can dip anything in melted cheese and have it taste good. Steamed tiny new potatoes, pearl onions, squares of french bread, apple, pear..whatever. This cheese fondue is another of Valli’s spectacular recipes!
7. Popcorn! Everyone likes it. Toss with a few sprinkles of taco seasoning.
8. Make roll-ups. Take flour tortillas, spread with cream cheese, sprinkle with chopped green onion and dried cranberries, lay a slice of ham or smoked turkey over it and roll tightly. Cut on the diagonal in 3 or more pieces.
9. Fried Ravioli from Food Network starts with purchased ravioli. Rather than the marinara suggested make a
10. olive oil/garlic dip or….
11. a pesto dip.
How about a selection of foods; shrimp, chicken breast skewers, chips, tortilla chips, crudites, sliced fruit, toasted french bread, gingersnaps, vanilla wafers, even animal cookies- with dips like:
12. Chipotle Chili Black Bean Dip
13. Chevre Dip with Lavender & Honey
14. Pumpkin Dip
15. Mexican Cheese Dip
16 Hot Crab Dip in a Bread Round
17. Vidalia Onion Dip
If you want something more substantial try:
18.Apple Chicken Quesadillas
19. Olive and sun dried tomato crostini
20. Pick up some artisan bread, like black olive or sourdough, and make small sandwiches with a slice of cheese and a fresh tomato.
21 . Seriously, buy Milky Way Bars and cut into 3-4 pieces. Slide on a skewer with a slice of banana, followed by a marachino cherry.
22. Pour a big bag of Holiday M & M’s in a crystal bowl the middle of the table. Place big pretzel rods in a bowl of vanilla icing, sticking straight up. Guests take the pretzel from the icing and roll in the M&M’s. How cool are you?
23. Chex Mix. You know you want it.
24. Make skewers of small squares chocolate cake, followed by a cherry, followed by a small ball of cream cheese rolled in chopped pecans of walnuts. Call it Unconstructed Black Forest Cake.
25. In a pinch take a stroll through the freezer section of the grocery. There are usually all kinds of possibilities from mini cream puffs to guacamole.
Most of all..relax and have fun. Happy New Year from my house to yours!