Everyone needs a fantastic recipe, that is super-simple, and is so delicious that everyone loves it. Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches meet Restless Chipotle readers. Restless Chipotle readers meet Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches.
Two ingredients, people. TWO ingredients.
The images are not the best – The sun insisted on going down before I was ready. I think you will get a mouthwatering idea of how yummy these are, though.
The beef cooks as long as possible in your slow cooker. I like to let it go 8 – 10 hours if I can. During that time the flavor of other ingredient, peperocini peppers, soaks into the meat giving it a vinegary bite and a touch of heat. After about 8 hours I shred the meat and let is cook a little more in the juice for more flavor.
You pile that juicy, shredded beef up as high as you can on a crispy sourdough baguette. You can add caramelized onions, sauteed peppers, Provolone or whatever you like – I usually go for just the beef or beef and onions. Garlic butter is amazing on these – just spread it before you put the beef on. This would be an awesome sandwich to serve for Superbowl.
- 3 lbs beef roast - a lean cut works great but anything is o.k.
- 1 16-oz jar Mezzetta Peperoncini with juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 baguettes cut into 4 sandwich size chunks each
- Caramelized onions, optional
- Sauteed peppers, optional
- Provolone, optional
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Put it in a slow cooker and add the entire contents of the peperocini jar.
- Add minced garlic.
- Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
- After 7 hours shed the beef with 2 forks and then let it cook for at least another hour. This infuses the meat with even more flavor.
- Warm baguettes in the oven until crust is crispy.
- Cut in half and pile meat onto the bottom part.
- Add optional ingredients and add top of bread.
- This is even better the next day if it lasts that long.