Valentine’s Day probably should be renamed Uber Fancy Dessert Day. It is certainly the day when we seem to crave the most intricately put together desserts whether we make them ourselves or buy them elsewhere.
Puff pastry isn’t hard to make from homemade but you can also buy it from the freezer section of most grocers.
If you have a box or two of this in your freezer you are always only about 30 minutes away from dessert. Get the sheets rather than the cut out circles. They are more versatile and you can cut them in any shape you like.
Creme de Cassis is a black currant flavored liqueur. You can substitute anything you like for it. This would be great with berries sprinkled on it or chocolate swirled across it. It is a great basic dessert that you can add to as your taste and imagination allow.
Creme de Cassis Napoleon
It may seem like a lot of steps, but this goes together in less than an hour and is super simple. Pastry cream is easy to make in the microwave and no fear of scorching. Just be sure to stir every minute and watch carefully or it will curdle.
Creme de Cassis Pastry Cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 tbs organic cornstarch (non-gmo)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbs creme de cassis
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a microwave safe bowl until pale and frothy.
- Add flour and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Add milk, whisking until smooth.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute until thick.
- Whisk in butter, vanilla, and Creme de Cassis.
- Let cool.
- 1 box puff pastry
- 1 recipe pastry creme
- 1/2 cup sugar, caramelized
- Confectioners sugar
- Bake the puff pastry according to directions.
- Cut in 16 pieces.
- Melt the sugar over medium heat, swirling pan and stirring to keep it from sticking.
- Allow the sugar to turn a light golden brown and remove from heat.
- Quickly brush the hot caramelized sugar on the tops of 8 of the pastry squares.
- Put a dollop of the cream on top of the caramelized sugar.
- Place another pastry square on top and press gently.
- Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
Makes 8 servings
Fat 19,5 (saturated fat 7.7)