Whether you want a really fabulous breakfast or a great dessert these Bavarian cream and raspberry crepes are fantastic. Add a little chocolate drizzle and the family is going to be wowed. And rightly so.
Crepes are like bikes… they are hard as hell until you know how to do it. Once you make the perfect crepe you will be able to match it from that point on. The trick is getting that first one perfect.
Most people say they have to throw out the first one of every batch. I used to but I don’t so much anymore. Here are some tips:
- Let the batter sit for 30 minutes for the gluten to relax.
- Be sure your pan is really hot.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Rub a tiny bit of butter in the pan.
- Add the batter with a 1/4 cup measure, swirling the pan as you add it.
- Hold the pan over the batter bowl so that any excess runs back into the bowl.
- Cook until the edges curl a little and you can pull the crepe out of the pan.
- Either fill and roll as you take them out of the pan or lay parchment between the crepes.
That’s it. Perfect every time.
Now, adding a Bavarian Cream filling and a dab of raspberry jam creates something akin to amazing. You can put these together from first stir of the batter to last drizzle of the chocolate in less than 30 minutes.
Recipe: Crepes with Raspberry and Bavarian Cream Filling
Summary: Delicate crepes with a rich Bavarian cream and raspberry jam filling
Cooking time (duration): 40 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: French
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- Beat all ingredients together and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Don’t worry if there are a few small lumps in the batter.
- Make crepes using an 8 inch omelet pan and 1/4 cup of batter.
- Cook 2 – 3 minutes or until shiny and set on the top and golden underneath.
Bavarian Cream Filling
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat all ingredients except vanilla together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 8 minutes or until thick, stirring every minute or so.
- Add vanilla.
- Set aside.
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Microwave cream until bubbles form around the edges.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Drizzle over crepes
- Place one crepe shiny side up on a plate
- Add 1/2 tsp of raspberry jam in a line down center of the crepe
- Now add a tablespoon of the Bavarian cream.
- Roll up and place seam side down on a plate.
- Drizzle with chocolate and serve warm.
Makes 8 servings (about 2 crepes per serving with a few left over)
|Nutrition Information: |
Fat 16.2 (saturated fat 9.8)