I love the spinach and artichoke combination, whether it is in lasagna or dip. The other day I was furtively hunting for something to serve with the ravioli I had made and saw that I had some fresh spinach and some canned artichoke hearts. My heart pounding, I began to frantically toss things aside in the refrigerator, hoping that I would see the familiar packaging…the cherished lettering…
I smiled warmly. ‘Hello, old friend.”
This is a super simple, super quick, super yummy side dish IF you like artichokes and spinach.If you are doing an oven main course then by all means slip this in to get golden brown.
Panned Spinach and Artichokes
- 2 lbs organic baby spinach
- 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups plain Panko crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan or Romano or a combination
- 1/2 cup Mozzerella
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon but leave the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft but not colored. Add the garlic and continue to saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cover. Steam for a minute or two until the spinach wilts.
- Stir in the artichokes. Mix ingredients up well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly mix in half the Parmesan and half the Mozzerella.
- Sprinkle with the Panko and remaining cheese and cover until cheese is melted.
Serves about 8
image: marye audet