One of my favorite snacks or sides is homemade onion rings. I can’t stand the way they do it in the fast food industry …I want mine delicately flavored, light, crispy, and perfect.
Is that too much to ask? I think not. Check it out -
The batter is so light it just adds a little crunch… The flavor of the onions is delicate and perfect. I have served this numerous ways but my favorite? Powdered sugar. Yep. Seriously. They are that delicate and perfect.
There are a couple of secrets of course. I have worked with this recipe for 20 years to get it this perfect. Do you think I would actually share the secret in a public forum after all of that?
Secrets to perfect onion rings every, single time-
- Make sure everything in the batter is icy cold. In fact, put ingredients in the freezer for 15 minutes or so before making.
- Do not over beat the batter. You want a quick mix so as not to develop the gluten
- Use peanut oil if you are not allergic.
- Use Vidalia or 1015 onions.
- Let each person add their own salt
- Drop the rings into the oil one at a time and never over fill the deep fryer.
- Let them drain well before serving but you must serve them HOT.
- If there are left overs compost them or give them to the chickens. These do not reheat well and they are nasty cold.
- If you have leftover batter you can keep it in the fridge tightly covered. It will thicken up so add about 2 ice cubes to it before you use it next time to thin it out. Allow the ice to melt and mix it in.
O.k. so, you know the secrets? Have you memorized them? Because this post will possibly self destruct…
Here is the secret recipe. I am telling you these are incredible.