While it is no where near time for fall recipes yet, it is getting close and what is more autumnesque than the ultimate comfort food, macaroni and cheese?
You are drooling aren’t you?
Yeah…I am not talking about the stuff in a box. We are talking the real thing…oozing melted cheese, creamy goodness and crunchy crumbs on top. Budget friendly? Yep, it isn’t too bad. But the real payoff is in the whole-body hug that macaroni and cheese is.
Because, really, it is. You take a bite and all of a suddenly everything that has been bothering you for the entire week (unless it is gall bladder problems..mac and cheese will make those worse. I know) melts away and your soul feels soothed by the lullaby going on in your mouth.
This is my version of macaroni and cheese supreme. The original recipe came out of a 1940s cookbook that I have and the main difference is in the cheese blend. They used all sharp cheddar and you can certainly do that if you like. I am telling you I am totally addicted to Panko crumbs at this point. I have put crumb toppings on casseroles before but this was well beyond perfect. You can use any bread crumbs but please try it just once with the Panko.
Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese Supreme
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 4 cups half and half cream or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup pimento
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cut in small cubes
- 1 cup Swiss cut in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Melt butter and saute the onion in it.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and mix well
- Stir in half and half
- Cook until smooth and thickened
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the cubed cheese and Panko, and stir until smooth
- Mix with macaroni and stir in the cubed cheese. Spoon into casserole dish
- Sprinkle Panko and a generous amount of pepper on top and bake for 30 minutes