One of the best things about summer is the grill…and one of the best things about the grill is….GRILLED CHICKEN!
These sandwiches go quickly once the marinating is done. Serve them with freshly fried tortilla chips, some homemade salsa, and plenty of sweet tea.
You can use this as part of your Once A Month Cooking menu if you like. Just toss the chicken breasts and marinade into the freezer. They will be ready when you are. Just submerge the frozen bag in hot water until you can separate the chicken breasts and put them on the grill frozen. The will cook quickly because they are thin.
Southwestern Style Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle, optional
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespooons good olive oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained and sliced lengthwise
- 8 slices Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- Purple onion
- Ranch dressing
- 8 Homemade hamburger buns
Pound chicken to flatten; place in a ziploc.
- Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, lime, chipotle, brown sugar, honey, liquid smoke and olive oil and pour over chicken breasts. Seal and refrigerate several hours or over night.t.
- Drain and discard the marinade. Grill the chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn and grill 3 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Place a slice of chile and a slice of cheese over the top of each and continue to grill until the cheese is melted. Place the buns on the grill cut side down for the last few minutes of grilling.
Serve with onion and lettuce on rolls that have been brushed with some ranch dressing.