We are now counting down the days until the New Year.
For us, New Year’s Eve has never been a big deal. We often play board games with the kids, or watch a movie because we are rather low key I suppose. I grew up in an alcoholic home and I dislike being around people who have had too much to drink. But there is always a place for good food in any holiday celebration so whether you are planning a big bash with 1,000 of your best and closest friends, or a quiet evening with those you love appetizers are probably part of it.
Over the net few days I am going to concentrate on “The Best New Years…Recipes” Make ahead appetizers, easiest appetizers, last minute appetizers, traditional foods for the buffet… Lots of great ideas to come!
Since there are several days until the “BIG Evening” I thought to start with those things that you could make ahead and would either freeze or hold well. Following are 21 of the BEST Make-Ahead Recipes for New Years
1. The first comes from one of my favorite foodie bloggers, Valli, who writes wondrous things over at More than Burnt Toast. Her recipes are fresh and the images are fabulous. She has a special love for the Greek Islands and this recipe has been one of my favorites. The lovely thing about Greek foods is so often it is served at room temperature which makes it perfect for make-ahead cooking.
2. Olive Garden’s Artichoke& Spinach Dip. I think my recipe is better but I just looked for it and realized I hadn’t posted it. This is a good one in the interim. Make it ahead up to the point of baking and then just pop it in the oven before your guests arrive.
3. Caramelized Onion, Fontina and Mushroom Pizza this is a recipe that is on an article I wrote on caramelizing onions in a crockpot. The recipe is near the end of the page. Make ahead and bake at the last minute.
4. Next on the blogger friends list is Inge. She is so awesome, so creative… I am always amazed that these people even acknowledge knowing who I am! I have come to know her a little, through her cooking, and our shared love of books, family things and kitchens. Just perusing her images is a treat. Here is her recipe for Brie and Bell Pepper Tart.
Image: (c) Vanielje Kitchen
5. What works better for New Year’s than glitter? This recipe for Glitterazzi from Jolly Time popcorn is sprinkled with edible gold glitter. How could anyone resist it?
Image: All Recipes
6. From All Recipes comes this fantastic Chicken Enchilada Dip. Serve it with….
7. Tie Dyed Tortilla Chips. My own. Have your kids help with the painting of these..they are just FUN!
8. Peabody. A most Unique person, and one that I don’t “know” except for the reading of her blog and the trading of comments that we do once in awhile. I love her name because it conjures up the image of a staid British nanny which is totally unlike anything she is or seems to be. Her blog, Culinary Concoctions By Peabody is a delightful melange of images and recipes.
9. Whole Foods. Dried Fig, Rosemary and Brie Bites. ‘Nuff said.
Image: Quentin Bacon for Real Simple
10. Jalapeno Shrimp from Real Simple will give your guests the luxury of shrimp without the “sigh-yet-another-platter-of-boiled-shrimp” face
11. Dharm is an engineer at heart and he is also an amazing cook. I laugh every-time I read his blog because of the way he puts things. Bread is a frustration to him because it isn’t logical and yet it always turns out well.
Image:(c)2007 Marye Audet
13. Any of the cookies from here
16 Baked Brie with Cherries and Pecans. You can assemble this and then bake just before serving. Try substituting Pistachios for the pecans.
19. From The Passionate Cook, one of the members of the Daring Bakers that I am involved with this awesome recipe for Prosciutto & sage chicken skewers with red pepper aioli
Image: Copyright © 1995 Land O’Lakes, Inc.
Image: (c) Megan’s Cookin
21. I couldn’t stop without a link to this recipe from Megan. Eggnog Truffles. Yeah. Do you see those adorable music notes she put on them? Amazing.
And there you have it. The best make ahead recipes for New Years!